We spend a large portion of our lives sleeping...
or at least we should.
Sometimes it can be really difficult to key down and get quality rest for the next day. I know that when left unattended, my mind often likes to take this time to run through every actual and possible scenario that has, is, and ever will play out. It's so fun, except that it's really not at all. Making sure we get the proper amount of rest is crucial to living to our highest potential.
So how can we improve our sleep patterns? Well, here are a few small steps you can take in order to improve your sleep life:
- Lose the screens. An hour before you go to bed, put your phone on the charger and send out your last texts. Screens are super stimulating to our eyes and brains, and it's difficult to shift from the world of social media to sleep in a short amount of time. Take that last hour of your day and do something for you! Read a book, journal, give yourself a facial, or listen to some calming music. If your phone is still going to distract you, I suggest putting it on silent. That way you aren't tempted to look at that one last cat video your BFF posts on your wall.
- Acknowledge your mind's racing thoughts, then send them on their way. Much like meditating, the more you do this, the easier it will become. When you are ready to fall asleep, consciously focus on the darkness behind your closed eyes. By keeping your breathing steady and focusing solely on the insides of your eyelids, you are much more likely to slip into that REM cycle. Avoiding caffeine later in the day can really help with a racing mind as well.
- Come up with a ritual! Next week, I will be posting about morning rituals, but for now consider coming up with a gentle routine that you do as you go to sleep. It can be as simple as drinking a glass of herbal tea, the way you brush your teeth and wash your face, or meditating on your favorite poem or scripture.
- Do you have an essential oil diffuser in your bedroom? You might consider getting one specifically for the place you shut down at night. Oils like Lavender, Vetiver, Roman Chamomile, Bergamot, and Cedarwood are all incredibly calming and can naturally improve your sleep habits. My favorite blend is called Serenity - the calming blend. I use it nightly in my diffuser, along with the Serenity Restful Complex (an all-natural sleep aide from DoTERRA) for the nights when I need a little extra help.
- Apply your oils to the bottoms of your feet. Fun fact: the soles of our feet are like gateways to our internal bodies. By massaging lavender oil or the serenity blend into the soles of your feet, you are covering a wide range of reflexology points within the body. Plus, who doesn't love a foot massage? I often apply lavender and Zendochrine (a detoxifying blend) to my feet before going to bed.
- Consider setting a consistent bedtime and morning rise-time. When your body is in the habit of falling asleep and waking up at the same time, it is much more likely to be getting quality rest. You would be surprised at how easily you can "jet-lag" your body simply by switching up your sleep patterns on a day-to-day basis. It might be hard to get up early when you want to sleep in on the weekends, but you might want to give consistency a try. Besides, you can accomplish a lot in the morning hours when you have time to yourself ;)
These are just a few tips to get you started on your journey to dream-land. Do you have any night-time rituals or habits that help you sleep? What do you consider to be the most helpful to you? Comment or message me to let me know!
Sleep tight, wild child!
For more information on the DoTERRA Serenity Blend, Restful Complex, Petal Diffuser, and any other oils mentioned in this post, shoot me a message via this contact form or visit my Wellness Advocate site.